Rhubarb Sauce

I remember so well the time back in the early 1920s spent with my aunt and two cousins in Salem Depot, New Hampshire, every summer. My aunt was a wonderful cook, and one of the things I remember most is the rhubarb sauce she made. It tasted as though it had been mixed with strawberries.

After I was married in 1936, she gave me her recipe for rhubarb sauce. I have shared it with many friends, and everyone agrees: Follow the recipe to a T and you will have the most delicious rhubarb sauce you have ever tasted.

- 2 cups water
- 2 scant cups sugar
- 3 pounds rhubarb cut into 1-inch pieces

Make a syrup with the water and sugar. Boil together a few minutes.

Add rhubarb to syrup when it starts boiling in center. Watch closely and
let boil just 1 minute.

Now here is the trick that makes ordinary rhubarb sauce a Sauce Deluxe:
Pour into a bowl or pan with a tight cover. Leave tightly covered until
cold, and you will find a sauce very different from any you have ever
eaten.

Comments