2 cups (16 ounces) milk
1/2 cup (4 ounces) sugar
6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) cornstarch
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons (1 ounce) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/4 cup sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Watch that mixture does not boil over.
- In a bowl, mix together the cornstarch and the remaining sugar. Slowly whisk in the remaining milk. Add the whole eggs and yolk and mix until very smooth.
- Temper the egg mixtures with the boiled milk/sugar and return to the saucepan. Bring back to a boil, constantly whisking to prevent scorching. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the butter and vanilla into the pastry cream, cool it an drefrigerate until needed.
- When ready to use, whisk the pastry cream until creamy. Fold in 1/2 cup whipped cream to make diplomat cream.