Ingredients:For the caramel topping
1/2 cup (4 ounces) packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter, diced
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup (3 ounces) pecan pieces, optional
For the dough
3 cups (12 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspooon salt
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) fresh buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling
Water to coat
1/2 cup (4 ounces) packed dark brown sugar
Method:For the caramel topping
- Melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the brown sugar.
- Stir until the sugar melts.
- Remove from eat and stir in corn syrup and pecans.
- Spray an 8-inch pan with vegetable spray and pour warm topping over the bottom.
For the dough
- Preheat overn to 400°F.
- To make the dough, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk and four tablespoons melted butter in measuring cup or small bowl.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until liquid is absorbed (dough will look very shaggy) (Amy says shaggy means lumpy), about 30 seconds.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface an dknead just until smooth and no longer shaggy.
- Using plenty of flour, roll dough out into a 12x9-inch rectangle.
- Brush dough with water and sprinkle brown sugar over dough, leaving a small border free of filling.
- Roll up from one long side and pinch seams well. Filling may be messy, but that's okay.
- Using floss or a serrated knife (Amy used floss, like real dental floss) cut about 8 rolls (1 to 1 1/2 inches wide) and arrange in the pan on top of the topping, pretty side down.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 23 to 25 minutes.
- Cool about five minutes before inverting.