IngredientsFor the dough
2 teraspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) warm water
1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk
3 cups (12 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
For the filling
water to coat
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the icing
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 to 5 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the dough by combining the yeast, water, butter, sugar, salt, milk and egg.
- Stir in enough of the flour to create a shaggy mass (lumpy).
- turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead, adding more flour if needed to create soft dough, about seven minutes.
- Lightly oil a medium bowl.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl and turn it to coat the dough with oil
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in size, 30 minutes to an hour.
- Roll the dough out on a floured board into a rectangle about 12x14-inches. Brush with water and sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the dough, leaving a small border free of filling.
- Roll up the dough from one of the rectangle's longer sides and pinch the seams together well.
- Using floss or a serrated knife, cut off slices about 1-inch wide. Place slices in an i-inch greased pan, placing one slice in the middle and other slices around it.
- Let the rolls rise until they fill the pan generously, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake in a 350°F. oven about 15 to 20 minutes. If rolls get too brown, cover with a piece of tin foil until the end of baking. Do not over bake rolls.
- Remove rolls immediately from pan by inverting onto a plate and then tip over onto another plate to right the rolls.
- To make icing, stir in enough cream into the icing ingredients to create a thick consistency.
- Spread over warm rolls as soon as they are placed on a plate, allowing the frosting to melt.