See KAF Blog about this cake at Gingerbread Gets All Dressed Up.
Our Guarantee: This moist cake is moderately spicy, and delicious made with whole grain or all-purpose flour.
2 1/4 cups King Arthur white whole wheat flour, or 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon each cloves and nutmeg
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup water
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup diced crystallized ginger (optional)
1) Grease and flour a 9" square pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
3) Melt the butter in a heatproof measuring cup. Add the molasses to the cup, and pour into the dry ingredients in the bowl, mixing to moisten.
4) Add the water, stirring until everything is moistened. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Stir into the batter until it's evenly combined. Stir in the crystallized ginger.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cake just begins to pull away from the edge of the pan.
6) Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing; gingerbread is best served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Tips from King Arthur bakers
- If you like spicy gingerbread, feel free to add up to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper to the dry ingredients in this recipe.
- You can use grated fresh ginger (3 tablespoons) in place of dried ginger, for even more moistness and a fresh zing. Mix the grated ginger in with the butter and molasses before adding it to the recipe.
- For apricot gingerbread, stir in 1 cup diced apricots with the crystallized ginger; bake as directed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories 170, Calories from Fat 60
Daily Value*: Total Fat — 7g; Saturated Fat — 4g; Trans Fat — 0g; Cholesterol — 30mg; Sodium — 180mg; Total Carbohydrate — 26g; Dietary Fiber — 0g; Sugars — 12g; Protein — 3g
* The nutrition information provided for each recipe is determined by the ESHA Genesis R&D software program. Substituting any ingredients may change the posted nutrition information.