- 1 1/4 pounds broccoli
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Steam broccoli; transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until foamy. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking, until mixture darkens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mustard and milk; simmer, whisking, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until just melted; season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over broccoli; serve.